Dear Cambridge Philosophers of Science,

Tomorrow, 19 October, our CamPoS speaker will be Arif Ahmed from
Philosophy, talking on 'Belief and Statistical Evidence'.  His abstract
is below.

Sincerely,
Brian Pitts

'Hume's argument concerning miracles and the well-known gate-crasher
paradox are both cases where people seem reluctant to believe something,
or courts seem reluctant to convict someone, despite extremely strong
statistical evidence that the thing is true or that the person is
guilty. I propose to account for this in terms of some simple ideas from
Signal Detection Theory. The upshot is that Hume is still right, but the
courts may sometimes be wrong.'