Dear all,

This coming Wednesday our own Hugh Mellor (Queens College) will be
giving a paper entitled “Chances and Conditionals” at the Serious
Metaphysics Group (abstract below).

The seminar will take place at the Philosophy faculty Board Room from
4.30 to 6.00pm. The talk should last about 45 minutes followed by
questions and discussion.

Hope to see you there,
Carlo

Abstract:

In his projected book, 'Most Counterfactuals Are False', Alan Hájek
infers the truth of its title from the ubiquity of chance. I argue in
this talk that he's wrong: the ubiquity of chance doesn't verify his
title. Chances are perfectly compatible with determinism, I.e. with the
existence of ‘hidden variables', and hence with the relevant
counterfactuals. They don’t even stop us knowing which counterfactuals
are safe (i.e. truth-preserving) when there are hidden variables, and
often when there aren’t.