Dear all,

A reminder that Kasia M. Jaszczolt, from the Department of Linguistics,
will be giving a paper entitled “Time: From Semantics to Metaphysics"
(abstract below) today at the Serious Metaphysics Group.

The seminar will run in our usual time from 4:30 to 6:00pm, in the Board
Room of the Philosophy Faculty.

For the remaining speakers we will have during Easter, see our term card
here:

https://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/seminars-phil/SMG

Hope to see you there,
Carlo

Abstract

Investigation into the reality of time can be pursued within the
ontological domain or it can also span human thought and natural
language. I propose to approach time by correlating three domains of
enquiry: into metaphysical time (M), the human concept of time (E), and
temporal reference in natural language (L), entertaining the possibility
of what I call a ‘horizontal reduction’ (L>E>M) paired with a ‘vertical
reduction’ (from time to modality, through modal supervenience;
Jaszczolt 2009, 2017, 2018). I present my theory of temporalityL/E as
epistemic modality, drawing on evidence from the L domain and its
correlates in the E and M domains. On this view, the human concept of
time is a complex, ‘molecular’ concept and can be broken down into
primitive concepts that are modal in nature. Put simply, on the level of
the conceptual building blocks, the concept of time features as degrees
of epistemic commitment to representations of states of affairs. I
present some evidence from tensed and tenseless languages in support of
this modal view (endorsing the L>E path) and point out its compatibility
with the view of real time as metaphysical modality (endorsing the E>M
path). Next, I move to the topic of the passage of time and the
subjective ‘feeling of the rate of the passage of time’ and show how
they can be accounted for in my modal reductionist view.  I conclude by
speculating on the challenges for a reductionist perspective of this
kind and remark on the place for A-theoretic concepts in this
essentially B-theoretic view (McTaggart 1908).