About five years ago I got a call from an elderly gentlemen who told me that
a friend gave him one of my business cards and that I was the one to contact
for any questions regarding old phonos or cylinders. He told me he was
selling his entire collection of cylinders and phonographs & horns along
with a very unusual cylinder cabinet. He further explained that he was not a
phono hobbyist himself but had accumulated these items at various auctions
over the years, and really hadn't tinkered with or played them very much,
but if I made him a reasonable offer the entire collection would be mine.
But I must by all of it, I couldn't pick or chose. Included in the
Collection was a Suitcase Model A Home, a Model D Standard, several morning
glory horns, about 400-500 cylinders mostly two minute Edisons(with maybe
10% waste do to mold and mildew) and a few blue amberols.The machines were
in excellent condition but were bound up due to sitting around for a few
decades. But when he showed me the unusual cylinder cabinet I couldn't
believe my eyes. I wasn't sure who the maker was but I was certain it was
something really unique and special. I told him I would go home and work up
a price for the entire collection. In doing some research I determined that
the cabinet was a Full Barrel Herzog in Tiger Oak in pristine condition.
Having no idea what this could be worth I worked up a price for the entire
lot I could afford hoping it would satisfy the owner giving myself some
leverage to go up a bit if I had to. I ended up with the entire lot, and
with a little cleaning and lubricating had the two Edison Machines running
that evening. The Herzog Cabinet became the centerpiece of my modest
collection of Phonos and accesories. The cylinders turned out to contain a
vast array of early comedy and novelty numbers as well some marches and
ballads, and popular songs. Also amongst the cylinders were about 12 old
brown wax cylinders which turned out to some of the earliest "blue" or
risque cylinders in existance. To say the least, probably the most unique
and best find that I will probably encounter in a lifetime. ----- Original
Message -----