Reserves are a good way to insure you get a reasonable price. Of course,
reasonable is subjective...I would never put a phonograph on without a reserve,
as the market has softened so much that I am afraid I would lose money on the
deal.
I once put a Gem on with a reserve of $450, it didn't sell. I put it back on
when the first auction expired, with a new reserve of $400 and then the thing
sold for $700! Pure serendipity...
John

Anil Menon <anil_me...@bus.emory.edu> wrote:

A question for the board. I want to list several of my cylinder
phonographs (no special or rare ones) on Ebay. What is the advise on
putting a reserve versus no reserve. I understand the logic for putting a
reserve (protecting your investment, etc. etc.), but, would like to hear
what experiences people on this board have had with putting things on
reserves versus low starting bid. Under what conditions does it make
sense to not have any reserve. Any tips or success/horror stories.
Thanks....anil