From diamondisk...@aol.com  Mon Feb 14 17:55:06 2005
From: diamondisk...@aol.com (diamondisk...@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 13:10:07 2006
Subject: [Phono-L] Columbia AH question

In a message dated 2/14/2005 1:01:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tom...@msn.com writes:

The gear  that drives the governor assembly looks to be made of some sort of
a fibrous  material, somewhat orange in color.  Is it save to lubricate that
material as you would a metal gear?

I am going to take a cue from our politicians, (all of them), and  expound on
a topic of which my knowledge is very limited. I am an Edison man.
Therefore, I have no direct knowledge of fiber gears. However, I once read  an
article
about them which stuck in my memory. The article said that fiber  gears can
wear out metal gears, because the fiber gears produce  abrasive particles as
they wear. If you grease this pressed fiber gear,  those particles and the
grease
will form an abrasive goo, which  will accelerate the wearing of the metal
gear. I would think that greasing a  pressed fiber gear would accelerate that
gear's deterioration  also.

Now the real experts can answer your question properly.

Randy