The sad truth is that if you accumulated your
collection in the 60's and 70's, as many did, its
worth about 3 times less than you paid for it, if you
adjust for inflation.
  When I sell my machines, am I supposed to tell Uncle
Sam? Because if I paid 300 for a machine in 1980 and
am lucky enough to sell it for 350 today, I lost
money. But the govt doesn't look at inflation. Am I
supposed to declare that as profit? I am never clear
on where collections enter into paying taxes.