I consider my phonographs to be a huge investment in my happiness and
quality of life.

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.com
[mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.com]on Behalf Of Ray Wilenzick
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 3:44 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: [Phono-L] Appreciation of phonographs

It is true that high-end phonographs will surely appreciate over time,
although the rate of appreciation has historically been slow, with some
exceptions of course.  Common models, such as most Edison Standards and
Homes have appreciated little over the past ten years, emphasizing the fact
that one should buy the very best machines one can afford.  As mentioned,
the Opera in mint condition at Union for $9,000 seems expensive, but that is
not unusually high (if original and mint) since one sold for $9,000 (with
cracked horn) in 1999, and another (restored) for $8,650 the same year, and
several have sold in the past two years in the range of $7,000 to $7,500.  I
think we should not buy phonographs solely as a great investment, but rather
to enjoy and preserve them, with the reasonable expectation that they will
probably not depreciate over time!
Ray