From: <agw1...@aol.com>
To: <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Marconi Velvet Tone discs

In a message dated 7/4/2007 10:23:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
steve_nor...@msn.com writes:

> Do you play yours?  I thought they were too fragile to play.  How do you
> keep them from slipping?  I am now curious how these sound.

Hi All,
Well, I'm not Robert but I play my Marconi Records. I merely play them on a
modern lightweight tone arm electric 78 rpm phonograph. The sound can be simple
awsome! I have also played a few Columbias from the same era that seem to
blow away the Victors with depth and roundness on tone.
However, something changed in Columbia's recording equipment and by the time
the Blue Label records came out the sound quality in the lower range seems to
have greatly diminished.
 My only assumption is that the strong notes in the lower register were
causing damage to the reproducers used in the Columbia. The mica would finally
start to disintigrate from the extra strong vibration and caused that squealing
sound at certain tones and if the reproducer was too stiff the damage to the
grooves would soon become apparant.
Just my personal observations.
Sincerely.
Rick A. Jorgensen