Ron,

 How do? I hope I'm doing this right. Yes the Viva-tonals had a semi auto
brake-or at least some of the portables did. I have a 163. I can send along
some photos if you like. Good luck with it.

                          Regards,

                               John B.

Hi gang,

> I've just become the owner of this little cutie and have a couple of
> questions for the group.  Did any Columbia Viva-tonal machines have an
> auto
> or semi-auto brake?  Is the 611 supposed to have one?   What is the finish
> on these machines, lacquer or shellac?  It looks like lacquer to me.
>
> I've already dismantled the tone arm to grease/seal joints which improved
> the sound already.  I want to rebuild the reproducer.  I think it is
> leaking
> and it looks like the gaskets are cracked and dry.  Anything I should look
> out for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ron L

> End of Phono-L Digest, Vol 4, Issue 232

You did just fine, John.  I haven't figured out how a brake might work.
There is nothing on or under the tone arm to trigger a brake.  I don't think
this little upright had one.

Ron L