I'm just trying to get an "E-mail" address for Ray Wile so I can scan the
relevant "For the Record" pages for him to obtain his thoughts on the
matter.    I haven't read all  Mr. Wile has written so he may have already
dealt with this.   I'm not trying to stir up a controversy for the sake of
controversy.  Naturally, I haven't seen every published source of sound
recording history.   Those I have seen all credit Berliner with originating
lateral-cut wax disc recording, not Tainter.    Tainter, along with
Chichester Bell, is credited with the vertical-cut engraving of sound
vibrations into wax & floating reproducer.    This is why I stated that
Tainter's lateral-cut work has been ignored.   If Berliner's work was
anticipated by Tainter's then Tainter deserves the credit, not Berliner.
If the Tainter 1881 Home Notes turn out to be a hoax then this is
interesting, too.    I would like to like to know what Mr. Wile has to say.
Please send his "E-mail" address.   Thanks!  (I attempted to send scans of
the relevant "For the Record Pages" to "Phono-L" but they
were evidently too large to post.)

Jim Cartwright
Immortal Performances, Inc.

jim...@earthlink.net

subject" are ignorant of or chose to ignore Charles Sumner Tainter's Home
Notes or his invention of the lateral-cut wax disc recording. I cite from
Steven E. Schoenherr's article from 1999 on "Tainter lateral-cut
electroplate record." For more than 10 years Schoenherr's article was
easily accessible on the internet: NMAH #287668) - The record pictured
above is one of the earliest surviving examples of a flat disc sound
recording. The Smithsonian has one earlier copper electroplated disc
deposited Feb. 28, 1880 (NMAH #312,119), but it is unidentified. The
earliest identified flat disc was an experimental electroplated lateral-cut
disc made by Sumner Tainter who etched in center: "This phonogram was made
Nov. 8, 1881. S. T." This record has lateral-cut grooves, or what Tainter
called "zig-zag" grooves, produced by a special lathe that cut a wax master
that was electroplated with copper. The disc is 10 inch
>  es in diameter with very wide grooves meant to be reproduced with the
air-jet apparatus Chichester Bell had developed in 1881. The disc was made
several months after the first electroplating experiments were carried out,
and two weeks after a similar electroplate record was sealed in the
Smithsonian box with an Edison tin-foil phonograph.

> I wonder if the electroplated disc of February 1880 is still
unidentified. I haven't read the article in "For the Record". Therefore,
please cite the relevant page(s) of his 1880 notes, because I thought that
Tainter first mentioned the zig-zag form on March 29, 1881 on page 9, Vol.
1 of his home notes, and again on October 21, 1881 on page 51 in Vol. 3. >
I need Ray Wile's "E-mail" address. I've been re-reading his > articles on
the phonograph's earliest years & notice that he, like > virtually all
writers on the subject, is ignorant of> or has chosen to ignore Charles
Sumner Tainter's 1880 Home Notes on > deposit at the Smithsonian
Institution which were the subject of an > article a few years ago in "For
the Record," the journal of the > City of London Phonograph and Gramophone
Society Ltd. If > Tainter's 1880 Home Notes are actually what they claim to
be then > Tainter is the inventor> of lateral-cut wax disc recording in
1880! [...]> Jim Cartwright