I'm downsizing and going through some odds and ends I found a Spear phonograph
from the 40's or 50's.  I can't remember when or where I acquired it but it
must have been a long time ago when I was a novice at phonograph collecting and
bought some real junk.  The case is lithographed tin and it has an electric
motor.  The graphics on it were pretty good so I decided to clean it up a
little and give it a spin.  Even for a cheap kids machine I can't believe how
bad it sounded.
the motor is noisy and the reproducer is abysmal.  I can't find any damage but
I'm sure it had to sound better when new to be a saleable product.  Any of you
ever try to fix one of these?  I can't figure out how to get the reproducer off
the plastic tone arm much less disassemble it.
The two halves are held together with rivets.  I'm sure most of you will think
that I'm nuts or have too much time on my hands to be fiddling with this thing.
 I'd like to get it sounding a little better to give to one of my grand
children.  Anyone have any ideas what can be done with one of these to improve
the sound quality?  Thanks