As I said, my A&N has a serial number near the 3,000 (2934) mark, and doubt if
very many more then that were actually made.

Bruce
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Carli" <philip_ca...@pittsford.monroe.edu>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:48:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Edison Army & Navy

One thing in the Frow book I remember is he cites internal memos as to how many
they were making at one point, I think it was 15/ week in late 1917 (could be
wrong on time but I think number is correct), which was 1/5 of what they
intended, so some numbers could be formulated from that. From the approximate
date of that memo (and a cessation of production memo I think he cites) you
might be able to find the production file through ENHS's paper archivist. I
also think there is a photo of a A&N serial plate with a number in the 1000s --
I can't check it because I'm on the road away from home -- and a notice of a
piece on them in Edison's house journal "Diamond Points" which might give some
numbers. I got the impression from close reading that Frow discovered roughly
how many were produced but didn't see fit to mention it, for whatever reason. I
wish you luck in finding one, as they do seem scarce; the only one I've ever
had personal acquaintance with was Doug Anderson's in H
erkimer. PC