Sorry to learn of Fred's passing.  I last spoke with him in April and was
hoping to make a detour deeper into Texas to visit him on our way from Kentucky
to Arizona in  early May, but our schedule did not allow it. As I write this I
deeply regret that circumstance as I really would have loved to have seen Fred
one more time.
Back in the 1980's, I lived for several years in Downey, California and Fred
lived over the bridge in Southgate, which made me the closest collector to him
geographically.  Many times my phone rang with Fred's voice on the other end
saying, "First peckerwood over here gets this [fill in the blank with a
desirable phonograph] for [fill in the blank with a great price].  I'm fixin'
to dust her off. If I have to dust her off the price goes up so you better
hurry!". Fred loved to torment the hapless buyer with stuff like, "My best
price? $10000 is MY best price", etc.  He was a self-described "hornswaggler"
who wore Western shirts and one cuff of his jeans always caught at the top of
one of his cowboy boots.  His mottoes were "When you're dead, call Fred" and "I
look for the wreath on the door", both references to his penchant for finding
the widows of collectors and buying the collections, at least that's what Fred
said.  A few times Fred did things that really ticked me off like selling
another collector an early Victor VI that I had been making regular payments
on, or the time we ran into one another at the Long Beach Flea Market and were
walking together when I spotted a Triumph under a table out of the corner of my
eye.  I headed to the Triumph and Fred headed to the seller and bought it for
$300 while I had my hands on it. In spite of crap like that, I liked Fred and
always enjoyed buying stuff from him because it was an experience you couldn't
get anywhere else.  RIP old buddy.