Yes, I know (some) British would disagree, but they're wrong. The part you
quoted below about Swan stated that "his filament had low resistance, thus
needing heavy copper wires to supply it". That is the key reason that Swan and
everyone but Edison completely failed to REALLY invent an incandescent light
that didn't burn out right away. And not to mention that even if it somehow
didn't burn out, it would still be useless for a home owner because of the high
current needed to operate it.

In the same Wikipedia article you quoted it said that Paul Israel concluded
that the high resistance filament was the key invention, and why Edison's 22
predecessors failed. And later in the article is said that the US Patent Office
thought about invalidating the patent, but concluded that the high resistance
filament was a valid patent claim.

So I repeat: What is the point of inventing non-working, non-practical light
bulbs? None! They are all failures, not inventions.  Edison himself made dozens
of light bulbs that were utter failures. Such as platinum filaments, many of
which required elaborate thermal cutout mechanisms inside the bulb to shut off
power as the platinum reached melting temperature. Those weren't valid light
bulbs any more than Swan's were. They were failed experiments, not real
inventions. Edison would not have the nerve to claim a failed experiment was a
valid invention, as some historians now do.

Did any of you guys ever read all the detailed accounts of Edison working on
the light bulb? As an electrical engineer, I was fascinated. Scientists of the
day said that Edison's attempt to "subdivide the light" was against the laws of
physics. They were thinking in terms of old-fashioned arc lights that used high
current, and thus had to be wired in series. Only Edison understood that to
succeed he needed high resistance lights, which allowed them to be wired in
parallel. Imagine if there was no Edison, and most lights in your house or on
your whole street had to be wired in series! Edison was so far beyond others in
the field that there is no comparison.

Jim