Hi Mike,

You are certainly thinking of a laser techometer. These have become so cheap, that I can recommend to anyone as a useful tool. I bought my first one about five years ago for approx. $100, now they're down to as low as $12. I have one of these cheapos too. It has the same precision as my expensive one.

You may want to consider this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/150600097532

And you don't need a special reflective tape, plain white paper will also work fine. Works also great with disc machines and modern turntables.

Best, Norman