Success!!

I was already using grease (nasty black stuff, for cars with disc brakes) so was disappointed by the "use grease!" replies - HOWEVER, as 100% of the replies were "use grease", that had to be the answer. My grease was not sticky enough. I dug out a little tube of "Bulb Grease", unopened for maybe 15 years, and put some in the bearing race of the arm, AFTER having all the parts in the fridge for an hour. Also turned the a/c up full-blast, and tried not to heat the parts with my hands. That stuff was like almost-dry rubber cement - the balls did not move from their groove, and the goo was strong enough to hold the steel plate in place while I slipped the assembly into its mounting hole & slid the cover on.

Many thanks to youse all! I promise not to fiddle with the brass reproducer - not broken, no fixin'. Now, I will clean out the sticky bulb grease & look into that "F-1 hard felt" .