 From: Steven Medved <steve_nor...@msn.com>
To: phonol...@yahoogroups.com; phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 12:30 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Gem Model E

I am trying to narrow down Model N serial numbers, if anone has a Gem E I would
be interested in the serial number of the N reproducer and the machine. You can
reply off list if you like.  Hit reply and copy and paste my e-mail address.
Thanks, Steve The N was made for the Standard E and appeared around serial
number 22,000 with a flat top and round weight.  The N was used for the Gem E
and left over Gem D machines.  It was made for the later Amberolas to play the
wax amberols.  The N-56 was made for the amberola 5 and 6, the regular N was
made for the amberola 8 and 10.

1 The first N was the round weight; it came out around
serial number 22,000.  This had the pot
metal flat top.  The first one said Nat’l
Phono around 25614 they have TAE Inc on them.

2. The second N was the trowel, not to be mistaken with the
N-56.  The trowel N does not have a
pillar for the Amberola lift.  This
likely came out the same time as the trowel O around 42,000.  These have the
early dome top.

3. Then come the bent weight N’s.  I have observed the start around 46,000 and
they normally have the good or last style of large top.  The bent weight N has
six varieties.

1.   Extended H weight stamped Model N over H 4
Minute.

2.   Extended H weight stamped Model N 4 Minute.

3.   Extended H weight
stamped Model-N in slightly larger letters

4    Extended H weight
stamped N.

5.   N weight stamped

6.   N weight stamped
N with pin holding stylus bar in place.

The Frow book has four of these and does not mention the
trowel weight N.

7. Then the N-56 which has three serial number
varieties.  First the regular O and N
serial number, I have seen one in the 70,000 range.  Then more commonly I have
seen four in the R
and S serial number range of 31,000.
Finally the A series, I know of an N-56 with an A287 serial number.  I believe
the A series were made after the
fire but I could be mistaken.  I do know
for certain that C, H and K’s were made after the fire along with 2 and 4
minute recorders.

In 1911, Edison's companies
were re-organized into Thomas A. Edison, Inc.