Steve,A true "puzzle record" is one that is recorded with multiple concentric
grooves. These records look like  normal 78s, except when you play them, you
don't know what selection you will get - usually three to five different
choices per side. Put the needle down - you might get an instrumental song -
put it down again and you might get a chorus, etc. On the horse race records,
you have a possibility of five different winners each time you play... these
are very rare and strange records. You could easily overlook one in a pile of
common 78s. Hope this clears it up.Curt