I have the models 611, 613, and 810 which do not have the non-set (NS) auto stop feature, and I have never seen any of the VivaTonal models that included the NS feature. Checking the Baumbach book "Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol II" I see that the NS feature seems to have begun with the new line of machines introduced in 1918 and continued thru the "New Columbia" series from 1924 to 1926. But it seems to have been dropped in the later VivaTonal and electric series of machines. The NS feature was somewhat complicated and may have proven difficult to maintain which may have been the reason that Columbia omitted it in their later models. They used an "improved auto-stop" feature in the electronic model 920 that was claimed to work on all types of records, but I have not seen one of these to tell if it is similar to the NS or otherwise how it works.

Greg Bogantz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arvin Casas" <aca...@spamcop.net>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] 1927/ Viva Tonal Columbia Felt Colors

Based on what I see in mine (and its cruder ancestor in my Grafonola 75,
1915), the auto stop is a mechanism that works in conjunction with the
motor via levers - a la the brake/stop/start underneath or above the motor
board.  It is completely outside the sound reproducing system.  It should
not have any connection to / intrusion upon anything from the horn all the
way to the sound box, so it shouldn't contribute to leaks.

Very odd.  What model is yours Jim?  (btw There's a nice 2-page ad on eBay
right now that has photos of the 1927 models, mine is the lowest end and
is only mentioned parenthetically, haha.)  I agree that for Columbia to
omit this in the higher end models (especially if they went to the effort
of using velveteen) is surprising.  Do you see anything under the platter
that might suggest there might once have been an auto stop?