What I've seen on newly plated items is not a prep problem. They have what appears to be a much thinner gold look - like they watered down the material - not the thick looking plating of the originals.

Steven Medved wrote:
Prep is most important, if the part does not look good before it will not look
good after.
From: jim...@earthlink.net
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:27:55 -0600
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] question re "gold plating"

Some years ago I had a few gold-plated phonograph parts re-plated at a
plating place & they came out with a different finish from that originally
used. So, you may want to leave your "not in best shape" parts as they are
rather than having them re-plated with a finish that might not match
originals.