I am at my wits end, trying to find someone who can rewind/fix a motor for my
Fairy Phonograph Lamp. What I am considering as a temporary fix (not altering
the original parts in any way) was to use a 78 rpm turntable motor from a
jukebox. Does anyone know of a direct drive type motor that would handle the
weight of a 12" steel turntable and the resulting drag from the acoustic
reproducer and steel needle?
I have been researching the original Fairy motor for over 8 months and cannot
find anything about it regarding amps, hp and rpms - there is no tag on any of
the three that I have looked at. I am restoring a second Fairy lamp that has
the same motor problem as my first one - motor spins, but slows to a stop with
any load. I have been told that the motor is a strange one since it is wound
for three different types of power. Parts for these phonos are non-existent,
thus the idea of using a strong jukebox turntable motor which is already
running at 78 rpms. The original motor has a resistor to cut the power and uses
a pulley - governor - worm screw to meshed gear transmission to run the
turntable and the speed is controlled by a simple brake mechanism. Any ideas or
Curt