Thanks Rich.  Have you tried home plating yourself (or consider it at
all)?  How did you find it in the end better for you to send it out?  How
badly off was/were the piece(s) you that required refinishing?

I'm genuinely interested in understanding how you came to your conclusion.
 Was it simply a matter of weighing cost and time or were there other
factors?

I'm not looking to do this for speed of result or cost efficiency.  I
recognize that an inherent third in the "iron triangle" is quality which
ideally I'd like to preserve, but if for learning purposes that is
sacrificed I'm willing to do, to a point.  Plating in my mind is not
irreparable, as say major woodworking, so I see no harm picking my 2/3 in
learning how a good job is done.

That's how I approach this hobby (as well as all my others). My research
and appreciation of the invention, innovation, and evolution of
phonographs includes exploring the mechanics of their inner workings and
the methods and processes of their manufacture and restoration.

I know one can easily just order one's dinner made, but sometimes it's
beneficial to learn how to cook, even if only to better appreciate a well
prepared meal, at least for me.