Recently I saw a working Edison Standard (model B I think)
machine at the Dewitt County Museum.

It has a few odd things about it:

It has a carriage that has no lift lever.
This carriage has teeth on the bottom which engage a
spring-loaded rack that's bolted to the carriage-rest.
When the rack is moved via its button, the carriage
lifts and drops back a couple of grooves.

Is this the language-teaching setup?

What's odd about it is that there's no way to rest the
carriage in the up position, which makes changing records
a real hassle.

This machine has an end gate, and it also has 2/4 gearing
although I can't get it to budge so far out of the 2M
gearing.

It only has a model H reproducer, which the museum is
using to play Gold Moulded 2M records!

This machine has the funky early "half-a-gearcase-cover"

So, is this carriage perhaps just missing its left lever?

Seems to me that the rack assembly might need to be
removed from the carriage rest, and maybe a different
carriage substituted, (one that has a lift lever
or the button).

I am quite familiar with the Standard model D, but
those earlier ones such as this one the museum has,
are sort of new to me.

It has the speed adjustment on the top of the bedplate.

Any ideas about what the best thing to do might be
to get that carriage so that it can at least rest in
the up position?

Thanks,   Chuck Richards

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!