Does the place in the Netherlands, actually make Shellac records.  It seems too
many people think this old technology is like going to the store and purchasing
it and it is ready right away, it would be nice but that is not how it is.  It
is my understanding it  takes a minimum of a day to make the metal parts alone
to make a78.   Wax cylinders for example take 3-4 hours to make the initial
batch of wax, which I make  16lb batches,  it must cool for a full day, and
then is broken into chunks. (for example I made a batch yesterday, and finished
at 5:00 P.M.  At 9:30 am it is still warm to the touch.  Better wax is made
when you heat the wax up twice and cool. (so this takes 3 days)   When it is
time to mold blanks, a certain percentage of scrap wax is melted first, then
the fresh new wax  batch is added  and it is cooked Prior to moulding  it is
cooked for about 45 minutes.( Scrap wax is cracked, and broken blanks,  trimmed
ends and shavings from the shaving machine)  I forgot
  to mention a little scrap wax is used to make the fresh wax.  For a test, the
wax is  poured in the mold and  a blank, formed  to the standard procedure and
is then smashed into pieces to check to make sure the wax is ready ,  the
interior is checked to make sure the wax is the same throughout the thickness,
and no bubbles, and no layers or precipitates.  If the batch passes this test
The blanks are moulded when it is of a normal 75 degrees to 85 the blanks cool
in still air which takes 20minuts to an hour, when it is hotter, the blanks are
water cooled with warm water.   If the test blank does not pass. The wax is
adjusted, by adding either stearic acid, or sodium carbonate depending on if it
is too hard, too soft,  or precipitated.  The wax is heated from 20- 45 minutes
to adjust the batch.  The blanks sit for about 3 hours, although sitting one
day is better and are checked to make sure they are cool, and  then a standard
phonograph mandrel is placed inside, and  the bl
 ank trimmed so that both ends are past each end of the mandrel.  The cylinders
sit another day, and are then edged and then rough shaven down to half the
final thickness in other  words about 2.25" thick.  Then they are checked on
the mandrel again.  The blanks are not touched for at least 2 weeks but 30 days
is better.  You can record on the blanks  when they are cool , and get a decent
recording, but you get still better recordings when you let them season.  If
you record too soon on them there is a chance your grooves will shrink slightly
or the blank warp a little.  The blanks I make  usually do not need to be
reamed, it happens sometimes.