 From: Don Mayer <donma...@shaw.ca>
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 1:00 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Pot metal swelling geographically speaking (new topic)

> From: Steven Medved
> Normally the Diamond B does not expand that much unless it was stored where
> temperatures varied over the years like an unheated attic where it got very
> cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.  Pot metal reproducer on
> Vancouver Island in the Victoria area remain pristine due to the relative
> small variance in temperature.

Hi Steven,

I thought I should delicately chime in here on the issue of pot metal swelling.
I live in Victoria, have collected phonographs for 40 years and have seen many
examples of reproducers and parts which have swollen due to "dezincification"
or "inter granular crystal growth" (thanks to Al Sefl for that phrase). In
fact, one of my first projects in the 70's was to machine a new lower mounting
plate for an S reproducer which had suffered breakage due to swelling. While I
can't speak to how local pot metal deterioration may compare to other areas, I
can say that the effect is not uncommon here. I don't think that "pristine"
would be an accurate description of how a lot of pot metal ages on Vancouver
Island.

Interestingly, though, it would be fun to put a "Vancouver Island" pot metal
reproducer or some other object on eBay to see if there might be a halo effect
that would apply to pot metal objects which have spent their lives here : )

Thanks very much for your informative posts, Steven. I always enjoy your
illuminating comments, particularly on serial numbers as they relate to design
changes.

All the best,
Don Mayer