Hello all
I realize that I have not posted on my latest find.  I saw an ad for a local
estate sale that included a Victrola.   I checked out the photo and I knew it
was not a common one.  It was not
 the classic Victrola with the deeply carved corners and nickel
plating.  It had more strict, straight lines and no curves.  The veneer
on the front was in a V shaped grain pattern, and the cabinet on the
whole looked almost more like a British made cabinet.
I called the sale coordinator to ask the price, and she said she would have it
later in that same day.  She never called back, and I left messages to no
avail.  So last Sunday morning (10/5) I drove the hour to Simi Valley, where
the sale was taking place.  My partner and I joined a line of about 30 people
and waited to get in.  When they opened the house and garage doors, I saw it at
the back of the garage. They were only letting 25 people at a time in, and
luckily I was number 25.  I went in and checked it out, and then had my partner
wait with it while I went into the house to find the coordinator and ask price.
 While in the house I spotted another high profile collector and my heart sank.
 I thought I would have to go home empty handed.  He greeted me, and told me
that the price was too retail for him (he purchases for resale) and my hope was
restored!  I found the coordinator and asked the price. She told me, and
keeping in mind that she
 said the house was sold and everything had to go that day, I counter offered
with the highest figure I could pay (which was $200 less than the asking
price).  She countered with a figure that was $50 higher than my offer, and I
accepted.  Luckily my partner had a $20 bill on him or I would not have been
able to buy it!.  We loaded it up and made the drive home, very carefully!
On to the phonograph - it was a Victrola 350, made in mid 1924 and discontinued
in early 1925.  It was made to appeal to the more affluent, as its design and
gold plating indicates, and it came with a full set of albums (missing from
this one). From the Victor Data Book it appears that only 878 were made, with
serial number starting at 501.  This example is number 802, indicating that it
is the 301st manufactured.  It was exciting to hear from Bob Baumbach that he
has only seen one other of these machines.
Here is a link to the photos.
http://s197.photobucket.com/user/john9ten/library/Victrola%20350
John Robles