I think this is the first time in recent history (probably since 1929) that an
original Edison studio recording head is working. I am using it to record
catalog and live records with.  It has taken a lot of research to make it work,
I keep working on the carriage (not original to the recorder) to make it work
better, I will post a vid of the latest version of the carriage.  This recorder
uses an advance ball, and floats on the blank.  The more true the blanks are
the better your recording, as any variations can cause the stylus to dig deep
in spots, and not in others. I will be excited to do some live recording with
it, would love to get some musicians together and cut some masters for moulded
release. It seems the existing Edison studio heads, are all missing something,
weather it is the diaphragm or cutting stylus.  I will post more vids, of the
new carriage in action. http://youtu.be/jtAJNo-YhSE
http://youtu.be/MpVHs5nTa_k   http://youtu.be/tipCmvpuaaE