The closest thing to what was used OEM is Behlen Violin Varnish, can be difficult to find but it works well. The base coats were plain shellac followed by a top coat of the Violin Varnish.

On 1/10/19 5:08 PM, Robert Wright via Phono-L wrote:
Hello and happy new year to everyone! Two quick questions for you:

1. What's the best way to clean the piece pictured here? (It's the auto brake and start/stop lever assembly of a later Orthophonic.) Anything safe I can soak the whole thing in without destroying the gold lacquer finish?

2. What modern, commercially available product would be the closest match to the factory finish of the cabinet if I needed to refinish, say, the top of the lid? Victor used varnish, if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to get the same satin-y finish as what they had new.

Thanks as always!
Robert
*From:* Phono-L <phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org> on behalf of Rich via Phono-L <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
*Sent:* Monday, December 10, 2018 9:43:03 AM
*To:* phono-l@oldcrank.org
*Cc:* Rich
*Subject:* Re: [Phono-L] Credenza X and VE8-12X motor rebuilds
Wedging sticks under the coils is not a permanent or proper fix. The fix
is to vacuum fill the coils with class H insulating varnish. It is
likely that these motors were never designed to operate on 120vAC which
does not help either. 110vAC is not equivalent to 120vAC.

I do not think anyone rebuilds these commercially, this is an antique
restoration project.

Might have better luck sourcing replacements that have not totally dried
out and operate properly.

--Rich