1. Instead of customodbc, you should
use --with-openlink=/usr/local/openlink/

2 .Are you sure it asks that odbc.h can't be found ? Or is it that  you
recieve this error:

php_odbc.c: In function `odbc_column_lengths':
php_odbc.c:606: `SQLINTEGER' undeclared (first use in this function)
php_odbc.c:606: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
php_odbc.c:606: for each function it appears in.)
php_odbc.c:606: parse error before `len'
php_odbc.c:634: `len' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[3]: *** [php_odbc.lo] Error 1

To fix it, change line 606 : "SQLINTEGER len;" should be replaced by "SDWORD
len;"

3. You are using MS SQL. Why not use the MS SQL functions "built in" to PHP
? They are ALOT faster, more reliable etc than ODBC functions. Plus, a VERY
useful functoin, mssql_num_rows function works, whereas odbc_num_rows() does
not. See http://php.net/mssql

Siggy