I use an ISP (http://intercession.net/specialoffers) who provides PHP and
MySQL support on an Apache server (Cobalt Linux) for $5 per month...yes, $5
per month.  No extra charges for either.  $250 meg space.  Full FTP.

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Fenton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 8:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Using text files instead of a DB

On 12 Mar 01, at 15:30, Phillip Bow wrote:

> It is absolutely possible though for anything big I would spring for
> the db access.  PHP shares a lot of the functionality that makes Perl a
> good tool for this type of job so either language is a good choice.
> For PHP you will want to check out the f-functions(fopen, fread,
> fwrite), and some of the string manipulation functions(implode,
> explode, and ereg/preg).  Your best bet may be to grab a book that
> covers string manipulation, and file handling(Wrox Professional PHP
> programming does I know) to use as reference.

So, there's nothing on the web that demonstrates text-file manipulation?

OK. I was hoping for an example somewhere that I could dig into and learn
from, but if I have to buy a book, well, I'm still trying to figure out
if PHP is what I want to use or not. I'm much more comfortable with Cold
Fusion, though no more experienced. CF is much more compatible with what
I already know and I got the same results with CF in about 1/3 the time
it took me in PHP. Unfortunately, CF would require a change of ISP, and I
really don't want to change ISPs (that would be a horrible thing, having
been with the same ISP since the beginning of 1996).

I don't think I want to spend money on a book for a platform that I may
discard.

Maybe I can negotiate with the ISP (I've done it before in behalf of
clients).

--
David W. Fenton                         |
http://www.bway.net/~dfenton