The first thing I would look at ( having had the same issue ) is whats
actually in the document. I managed to reduce the size of data delivered by
60% by 2 methods.

1. Ruthless use of css in table formatting.
2. Creating javascript functions for even the smallest inline feature such
as mouseovers.

Regards

Mark