At 05:05 PM 3/14/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm putting together a db with articles in it. Would it be better to have two
>tables with the main text of the articles in it linked to a main article
>table or just chuck it all in together in one table.
>I want to be able to do a full text search on the articles.

You cannot index "TEXT" fields in MySQL so doing a full text search is slow
if you have any amount of data in your database (it needs to search every
record for every search).  The way I normally handle this is to create a
second table of "words" which includes every word in a given article (that
isn't in a stop word list) along with the original article ID so that I can
index the strings.  This makes a search very quick but adds the expense of
disk space and slows the adding of data initially. You will have to decide
whether in your case it matters.  If you have little data then no big
whoop.  If you have lots of data then you need to look at different method
of searching.

Cheers,

Ron

Island Net AMT Solutions Group Inc.          Telephone:          250 383-0096
1412 Quadra                                  Toll Free:        1 800 331-3055
Victoria, B.C.                               Fax:                250 383-6698
V8W 2L1                                      E-Mail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Canada                                       WWW:   http://www.islandnet.com/