i use get_env("HTTP_USER_AGENT") to log browser types and it works fine.
to be hones i didn't know about the get_browser function ...

user agent suplies loads of info though about browser, platform etc.

Steve Brett
Internal Development
EMIS Ltd.

"Privileged and /or Confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the original addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone. In such case, please delete this message,
and notify us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by my firm or employer
unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independently of
this message."

Egton Medical Information Systems Limited. Registered in England. No
2117205.
Registered Office: Park House Mews, 77 Back Lane, Off Broadway, Horsforth,
Leeds, LS18 4RF