Thanks for all suggestions to my earlier questions.
This time I'm totally stuck though. I've been trying various solutions for
over a day now.

How do I check for an empty string in PHP/MySQL.
Scenario:

I have two query returning different results not necessarily of equal
length:

$queryjobs1 = "SELECT ticket.t_id, t_client, t_summary, e_assignedto,
e_status FROM ticket, events ";
$queryjobs1 .="WHERE e_assignedto = '$user' AND e_status = 'OPEN'  AND
ticket.t_id = events.t_id";
$jobresult1 = mysql_query($queryjobs1, $mysql_link) or die("query failed, "
.
mysql_error());

Which brings up a list of open tickets.

$queryjobs2 = "SELECT ticket.t_id, t_client, t_summary, e_assignedto,
e_status FROM ticket, events ";
$queryjobs2 .="WHERE e_status = 'CLOSED'  AND ticket.t_id = events.t_id";
$jobresult2 = mysql_query($queryjobs2, $mysql_link) or die("query failed, "
.
mysql_error());

Which brings up a list of closed tickets.

I then want to compare these to each other to print only the open tickets:

         <? if ($jobresult1) {

                                        //if there are jobs for the user
                 print "<b>Your unresolved ticket(-s)</b>";
                 print "<table>";

                                        //build a table to show them
                 print "<tr
                 while($summary=mysql_fetch_row($jobresult1)) {

                                        //while there are

                                        //open tickets
                  $ticket = $summary[0];
                                        //get a list of

                                                                 //openedt
                                        // tickets.
                         $client = $summary[1];
                         $work = $summary[2];
                         echo - $ticket;

                                        //debug line - prints "- ticket_ID"
                         while($summary2=mysql_fetch_row($jobresult2)) {
                                        // get list of closed

                                        //tickets
                                                // now circle through a list of closed
tickets
                           $ticketclosed = $summary2[0];
                           echo  $ticketclosed;
                                        // debug line prints "ticket_ID"
                           if ($ticket <> $ticketclosed) {
                                                //as

                                        //long as we don't get a match

                                        // we're

                                        //looking for open tickets not closed.
                             print
                                        //print the ticket
                           }
                          }

                 }

                 print "</table>";

         }
         ?>

This print (with one open and one closed ticket) -11-2 (se above) but the
second compare fails as open ticket 2 isn't compared to anything and won't
print. How do I put in a "catch empty string" statement. It should be
fairly
simple but it escapes me right now.

Any suggestions?

M.