There is no date that was before Jan 4th and on or after March 1st
simultaneously--not even March 27th.

Today might be a special day to individuals for varying reasons (birthdays,
anniversaries, new jobs, promotions, whatever) but it's not THAT special
that it simultaneously exists in two mutually exclusive sets of dates.

How about "...WHERE startDate >= '2001-03-01' AND startDate < '2001-04-01'"
to pull out all of the March events?