The best way ...
regarding to what expectations?

The query doesn't succeed because...
- the host running the mysqldemon died?
- the mysqldemon died?
- your ISP died?
- the hard disk holding the database died?
- the disk holding the database run out of space?
- the disk holding the cache run out of space?
- the result set was to big?
- there was some sort of time out - (imaging all sort of time outs?)
- there was a problem (there will always be problems...)
- there was a bug (imaging all sort of bugs?)
- there was a php syntax error?
- there was a mysql syntax error?
- there was a mixed problem?

You ever heard of 'defensive coding'?

Think: All software is always befuddled with error...

Tell yourself and your audience something about
the problems your application is involved with.
Be friendly to your visitors...
don't : die ("Query failed!");

got it?
Hans-Werner Guth

--
    Hans-Werner Guth      S     http://www.qits.de
         QITS GmbH      T     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]