On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 05:07:43PM +0200, Mirko Cegledi wrote:

> > I believe this is what you want:
> >
> > SELECT * FROM mydatabase LIMIT 0,5
>
>  I'm for this for months now. But seems not to work with Oracle 8.0.5. Could
> anybody tell me how I get the first five rows of a table with oracle?

The solution mentioned above is mySQL only - sorry. You can use this on
Oracle since 8.1 (rather slow):

SELECT *
  FROM
    (SELECT ROWNUM rownum2, inline_view1.*
       FROM
         (SELECT ROWNUM rownum1, ename, hiredate
            FROM emp
            ORDER BY hiredate
          ) inline_view1
     ) inline_view2
WHERE rownum2 BETWEEN 5 AND 7

Since 8.1.6 you may use:

SELECT *
  FROM
    (SELECT ROW_NUMBER()
       OVER(ORDER BY hiredate) rownum1, ename, hiredate
       FROM emp
     ) inline_view1
WHERE rownum1 BETWEEN 5 AND 7

If you just want to get n lines:

SELECT * FROM
  (SELECT ename, hiredate FROM emp ORDER BY hiredate)
WHERE ROWNUM < n

This all taken from
http://www.koehntopp.de/php/faq-database_oracle.html#database_oracle-10
and provided as is. If you know some german, that page is worth a lot!

Regards,
Karsten
--
fishfarm - Karsten Dambekalns
Echternstr. 73 - 38100 Braunschweig

Tel. +49 531 1232902  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax. +49 531 1232906  http://www.fishfarm.de/

PGP signature