Julio,

It is much more efficient to do that type of validation client-side, using
Javascript.  No
sense in making another round trip to the server if not necessary.

Here is a quicke example:
  if (document.autoform.txtVehicleNumber.value == ""){
      document.autoform.txtVehicleNumber.focus()
      alert("Enter fleet vehicle number")
      return false
    }

Have a look at http://www.wsabstract.com/ for good javascript info.