What a plesant thing to open my email this morning and find 44 emails (30 or
so of which) were some lame argument on SPAM and some guy trying to make
money.  Sell your cart, don't buy his cart whatever, I would just warn that
the web was designed as an "information superhighway" and although retail
application has its place it is certainly not the do all or end all to the
web. (Many e-tailers are finding this out the hard way now aren't they?)
Either way, I was hoping we'd all be comuter professionals on this list and
have learned a long time ago that the best way to end long and complicated
arguments online was to simply stop arguing.  This works especially best on
those huge chain letters where every single person replies "take me off this
list" everytime they receive a new chain mail.

That said, (Now on to actual PHP) I've noticed (in my own scripting) and a
few other problems posted here quite a bit of confusion with PHP's single '
and double " quotes.  Reading the material I was led to believe that
'   ' outputs exactly what is in the quotes and
"   " outputs variables and strings (etc..)
Thus I become radically confused by this recent comment to use '"$uname"'.
And furthermore the solutions to one of my MySql query problems being adding
single quotes ' ' to all the variables.  Now by my understanding, thats not
supposed to work.  However, being PHP what it is.. I wasn't suprised.
(There's some open-source commentary for ya'.)  Perhaps I am now thinking,
these quotes have diffrent meanings when applied in MySql queries, and
perhaps other DB types.  (I haven't really been paying attention to any
other database tytpe fodder.)  And furthermore, does thje function of the '
and " change in other commands?  I could really use a complete description
on this.  Perhaps a link to some long overdue resource I should have read
months ago before I designed my current project?

The Happy Columnist,

-Jonathan Underfoot
Underfoot Records
http://www.underfoot.cc/

PS:  I'm avalible to write articles for a variety of periodicals.  ;)  Sorry
for the encyclopedia.