Replying to my own message... hmmm....

FWIW, this problem seems to be specific to redhat 6.1.
The same setup on 6.2 works fine if db3-3.1 is installed from
source. Any rpm install of db3 on redhat 6.x causes huge
problems with php. The segfaults are specific to a db3 source
install of 3.2.x. on any redhat box. I hope to get a backtrace
on Monday and look into it further.

.mike

9bnsqn$e18$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9bnsqn$e18$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...