I believe that this is the default and only possible behavior.  The browser
won't return the cookie value until another page is loaded.  But since you
set the cookie on that page, you should still have access to the variables
you used to set the cookie right?

 From the manual:

"Cookies will not become visible until the next loading of a page that the
cookie should be visible for."