Here's a guess on the speed difference.

It really depends on when the stored procedure is compiled.

When astored procedure is compiled, a query plan is created
based on the distribution of the data and the indices that were
available at that point in time.

So it is possible for a simple select statement to be faster than a
stored procedure if the stored procedure is using stale information.

The way you do your benchmarks can significantly affect the timings
also. Can you share your benchmarks with us?

Regards, John

0AF1B047BDAAD4119C01000102B0367C05389E@UNITED01">news:0AF1B047BDAAD4119C01000102B0367C05389E@UNITED01...