this would work, and does for the day, but for the month it doesn't. also,
is there code to have:

$result = mysql_query("select * from shows ORDER BY date DESC"); (or
whatever code works)
and
$result = mysql_query("select * from shows where id >= $show order by id
limit 8");

combined together to make it so that there's only 8 rows per page and yet it
displays the date (ex, May 19, 2001) in descending format ?

Also, is there a way to have the PHP figure out when to go the next page
after 8 rows, or to not put a link if there's 7 or less rows? like
http://www.thesite.com/shows/main.php?show=1 when it has 8 rows, it displays
a link to  http://www.thesite.com/shows/main.php?show=12, but when there's 7
or less rows, it displays no link? There's probably some if/else statement
to run, but I have no idea what it would be.

If I sound confusing, I'm really sorry, I'm pretty bad at explaining things
well, so ask if you don't understand what i mean by something.

Thanks again,

Matt