we use sessions and then include a general script to check they are logged
in and then in individual areas use an if ($seclevel == 1) approach.

obviously register $seclevel and any other security levels , codes etc.

or, depending on the db, have a look at grant and revoke and set permissions
at the db level ...

let me know if you need any more help.

Steve