If that's the message you're getting, that would indicate to me that

(1) your copy of PHP *does* include the MySQL client functionality, and

(2) it isn't successfully connecting to a MySQL server.

> From what i've heard, MySQL is included in PHP....but why
> doesn't the connect work if it is included?

Do you actually have a MySQL server running?

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger