On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 08:54:04AM -0500, Joseph Koenig wrote:
> I've got a script that searches a db every night and sends out e-mail if
> it finds something a person would be interested in, based on criteria
> they gave us. The problem is that I have one field that stores regions
> of the country in a very unpleasant way. It stores them as:
> Northeast;West;South
> So all of the regions for one record go into one field. The problem is
> that when searching that, if someone has a preference  of 'North', I
> dont want to pull records that have 'Northeast', as would happen with
> the above example. Is there a way to modify the MySQL query so as to
> find only 'North', keeping in mind that 'North' may be the 3rd in a list
> of semi-colon separated regions? Or do I need to sift through the
> results in PHP to clean them up? Thanks,

You can certainly have MySQL do the work.  I can't modify your query,
because you didn't give it to us, but I can give you an example.

$sql = select * from your_table where your_column rlike "North(;|$)";

This will do a regular expression match.  If either North with a semicolon
directly after it or North and the end of the string is found, the
row will be returned.

Jason Stechschulte
If you're going to define a shortcut, then make it the base [sic] darn
shortcut you can.
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>