Here's the way I check:
-Set a cookie on the user's machine.  I name mine sessionid.
-Redirect to a new page using header("location: acceptcookies.php");
-On the new page, check to see if the variable has a value.  For
example, I would check to see if $sessionid=="" and if it's true then
their machine didn't accept the cookie (or the cookie was set with a
blank value).  If it's false then the cookie was set correctly.

Hope this helps.