ensure that your mysqld is actually running.  Then try running 'mysql
-hlocalhost -uroot' if it's a new install, or add '-p' at the end if you've set
a root password.  Alternately, specify another user after -u.

That should help.  I just figured this one out the other day... I had gone so
far as to install phpMyAdmin solely because I couldn't get the damn mysql client
to work.

Good Luck,
Ben