Ok I'm a dumbass :) $ORACLE_HOME was set to mode 770.  That seemed to
fix the problem. I'll have to do some more stuff besides loging-on to
the database to make sure all the functions work right though. When I
get some time I'll send you those patches for configure and
configure.m4.  In the meantime making a libclntsh.so.8.0 a symlink to
libclntsh.so.9.0 will work. Thanks.

-Lee